Thursday, September 30, 2010

Toujours Plus

My favorite movie is certainly not my favorite movie to watch. Truthfully, it is downright painful to sit through. (And yet, I have subjected many a third date to a viewing). The dialogue is clumsy and the acting is fantastically awkward. But the fashion! And the music! It's too good! The film is 'More' (1969) directed by Barbet Schroeder. It features Mimsy Farmer as an American gamine intent on self destruction. A hapless young German chap follows her to Ibiza where she gets him hooked on heroin (and her).


It's all simply too glamourous to bear: stunning cinematography showcasing the Ibiza of its Hippie-Trail heyday -well before it was taken over by ecstasy, foam parties and sunburnt British holiday makers, and a brilliant, chilled out soundtrack by Pink Floyd. Does it get any cooler? Truly. Though it's evident from the first few frames of the film that it's going to end like a gloomy Russian novel, I always feel deep pangs of regret for not having been alive in 1969. It is quite possibly my biggest life's regret thus far.



1 comment:

  1. is it wrong that cautionary drug tales always make me a bit, well, curious?

    ReplyDelete